Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm back...well at least temporarily

So I haven't posted anything since the first post. No real excuse other than the fact that sometimes I just didn't feel like doing it or completely forgot about it.


Today I'm in Boston for work. Boston is a pretty neat place and I would like to come here for vacation sometime.


So today I sat next to a woman on the plane that was probably about 75 years old. After we took off I noticed she was reading a devotional book and had another book called "Three cups of Tea" that Kathy has read. I asked her if she was a Christian and where she was from. We ended up talking for the rest of the flight. It was pretty encouraging to hear her passion for missions and spreading the gospel. She talked about the need for missionaries in countries in Africa but also the need to do local missions. It was nice to see someone that has been "in the church" for years still have the same passion for serving as a middle school or high school student that just returned from a mission trip.


On a lighter note, I was relaxed enough on the plane to talk to someone. I still don't enjoy the flying experience but am relaxing enough to at least carry a conversation.


A friend of Kathy's and the grandfather of my friend Grant passed away yesterday. He was a pastor and raised a great family. I had met him many times but never really had a deep conversation with him. Kathy has a quote that he said one time that talks about needing to take Jesus to people and it hits me everytime I look at it in her office.


My meeting with a random woman on the plane and the recent passing of Ralph Bauserman really has hit me with a common theme.


I(and we as humans) sometimes make Christianity and evangelism too complicated. Yes, not everything is black and white, but the cliche phrase "what would Jesus do" is a thousand times more true than I acknowledge most of the time. He met people where they were and he pointed them to Himself and the Father. Sometimes he was short and blunt and other times he was gentle and nurturing. He knew that the people he was talking with were not perfect nor could ever be on their own. He had their best interest in hand within the physical world and the spiritual.


There's a few other things that were on my mind today. I seem to have a lot of time to think about things when I'm traveling by myself.


I watched some CNN today and they were talking about economic recovery and where we are in terms of economic growth compared to where we were when the "recession" started. According to their graphs we are in recovery mode so I guess that's good. I'm still nervous about the government messing with business and the economy. I understand what they are trying to accomplish with the bailout of the auto companies and the "cash for clunkers" program but that's my money. That's your money to. Money doesn't grow on trees and if they keep printing more to run these programs the money we do have isn't going to be worth much.


Another thing that troubles me every time I think about it is all the health care reform I read about and hear about. I am torn between the two sides of the issue...


On one hand I want everyone to be able to go to the doctor or hospital if something is wrong with them, especially when you talk about children or pregnant mothers.


On the other hand I don't want to pay for it. If you can afford insurance or your employer provides it, good for you. Capitalism will prevail and if people keep paying the high costs then why would the insurance companies, doctors and hospitals charge less. I wouldn't charge less if people were paying.


To wrap it up, when looking at people and thinking about how Christ would treat them most interactions will probably be better. When looking at situations like Christ would(economy, government, healthcare) some things are a little more complicated. Let me know what you think about any of these topics; I'm open for suggestions especially about the governement, economy and healthcare thing.


Goodnight!

No comments: